Sex toys are available in a wide variety of materials. Each material has unique characteristics that add functionality and give a certain look and feel to the item. For example, plastic is usually hard and inflexible while jelly is generally soft and flexible. One material has certain advantages over the other and choosing the right one will help you enjoy your toy for years to come. It is helpful to know the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Plastic: Plastic is the most traditional material. Available in a variety of colors, plastic vibrators offer the advantage of powerful vibrations because the hard plastic material transfers vibrations very effectively from the motor to the user. Traditional, slimline and egg vibrators are most commonly made out of plastic, which is a durable and relatively inexpensive material. The traditional or classic style plastic toys also usually have very smooth surfaces.
- Plastics are non-porous materials so they are easier to keep clean.
- To clean hard plastic sex toys you can use anti-bacterial soap, rubbing alcohol, or bleach (if you are using alcohol or bleach, be careful to rinse thoroughly).
- These materials do not contain phthalates.
- These toys are usually suitable for people concerned with allergic reactions or chemical sensitivities.
- Care should be taken to avoid dropping hard plastic sex toys, as they may crack. Even if the motor is still functioning, a cracked vibrator should not be used as the edges could be sharp.
- You can use any water-based or silicone-based personal lubricants with hard plastic toys.
- Jelly: Jelly toys are most often soft, flexible and colorful. Jelly has an advantage over other materials in that it is very easy to mold, color and shape into whatever a designer can imagine. As a result there are a wide variety of colorful, beautifully crafted jelly vibrators to choose from. Jelly is also a very pliable material which contributes to a soft, smooth and supple feel, yet it retains some rigidity. Depending on the model, the “softness” of jelly toys can range anywhere from the consistency of a hard-boiled egg to the consistency of a cold stick of butter.
- Jelly rubber is a soft, translucent, and pretty looking material that is usually inexpensive.
- Jelly rubber is porous, so there are places for bacterial to hide, making washing your jelly rubber sex toys very important. Using a non-lubricated condom helps.
- Use a very mild anti-bacterial soap to clean. Using alcohol or bleach, or even dish soap can lead to the breaking down of the rubber.
- Jelly rubber is PVC that has softeners (called phthalates ) added to it.
|Phthalates – A chemical compound that is used to soften hard plastics into soft rubber and jelly. Derived from Phthalic acid, and often called a plasticizer for its plastic softening properties, phthalates have been produced since the 1920′s and have been used in everything from perfumes to pesticides and, of course, sex.|
- Because the softening agent has in other situations been linked to heath problems, it is often recommended that these toys should be used with condoms.
- Only use a water-based personal lubricant with jelly rubber toys.
- Cyberskin or UR3: Cyberskin toys typically fall in the “realistic” materials category. The material imitates the look and feel of human skin. Cyberskin is soft like skin, warms up to body temperature quickly, and provides an experience that is quite different from materials like metal and plastic. Cyberskin toys do have special cleaning requirements – basically no harsh soaps or detergents.
- Cyberskin toys are made of porous material that cannot be disinfected. Care should be taken to clean them thorougly. Using a non-lubricated condom helps.
- Use a very mild anti-bacterial soap or special toy-cleaner compatible with this material to clean.
- Powder with corn starch after cleaning to keep the toy from getting sticky. Don’t use talc powder (which has been associated with cervical cancer and should never be put in the vagina).
- They may contain rubber softeners such as phthalates, which have been associated with negative health effects.
- Because the softening agent has in other situations been linked to health problems, it is often recommended that these toys should be used with condoms.
- Do not use silicone lube with cyberskin toys as it can melt the toy. Be sure to use a condom over the toy if you want to use silicone lube.
- Elastomers: Elastomers are being used in sex toys as soft materials that are phthalate-free. They are porous, unlike silicone, and cannot be disinfected. People who are concerned about avoiding contact with rubber softeners might choose elastomer toys as good soft alternatives.
- Elastomers are very different from the inexpensive PVC (Jelly) used for most sex toys.
- Elastomers are slightly porous so care should be taken to clean them properly. Using a non-lubricated condom helps.
- Use a mild anti-bacterial soap to clean.
- They contain no phthalates, are hypoallergenic, soft and durable. No solvents are used in the process of manufacturing.
- Elastomers are usually suitable for people concerned with allergic reactions or chemical sensitivities.
- Only use a water-based personal lubricant with elastomer based sex toys.
- Silicone: Since silicone is a higher quality material than most, toys made from 100% silicone tend to also be higher quality than toys made from most other materials. Silicone retains its softness over time better than other materials and it can even be boiled, run through the dishwasher and cleaned with disinfectant soap without showing signs of wear. Silicone toys tend to be soft, although this is not necessarily the case. Silicone can be either very hard, very soft or anywhere in-between. The texture depends on the design and intended function of the toy. The comments here do not include toys made from a rubber-silicone mix. Toys made from such a mixture should be treated like Jelly toys.
- Be careful of toys that are silicone/rubber mixes. These are not the same as toys that are made of 100% (or near 100%) silicone.
- Toys that are 100% silicone are soft, chemically inert and hypoallergenic. Silicone is an ideal material for sex toys for penetration. It warms up to body temperature, transmits vibrations well, is non-porous, easy to clean, and very durable. It is available in a wide variety of densities, and an unbelievable range of shapes and colors.
- Because they are non-porous, silicone toys are easier to keep clean.
- You can use soap, rubbing alcohol, or bleach to clean silicone sex toys (if you are using alcohol or bleach, be careful to rinse thoroughly). Providing there are no moving parts (vibrators), you can boil (3-5 minutes) silicone sex toys in water, or put them on the top shelf of your dishwasher to clean.
- This material does not contain phthalates.
- Silicone is recommended for people concerned about having allergic reactions to sex toy materials.
- Silicone is very durable, but can tear. Keep items with sharp edges away from your silicone toys.
- You can use a water-based or oil-based personal lubricant but do not use silicone-based lubricants with silicone sex toys.
- Glass: Glass toys are usually made of Pyrex, which is a tough, damage-resistant type of glass. Glass vibrators typically consist of an outer glass shell that houses a standard vibrator inside. Glass toys are easy to clean, last a very long time, are often quite beautiful and are usually more expensive.
- Glass retains temperature extremely well and requires only a little lube for a super-slippery effect.
- Glass toys are non-porous so they are easier to keep clean.
- To clean glass sex toys you can use soap, rubbing alcohol, or bleach (if you are using alcohol or bleach, be careful to rinse thoroughly) and can even boil them.
- Glass toys do not contain phthalates.
- These toys are suitable for people concerned with allergic reactions or chemical sensitivities.
- Care should be taken to avoid dropping glass sex toys, as they may crack or break. Examine your toy before each use. If you notice a crack in a glass toy, stop using it. You wouldn’t want to risk having it break during use.
- You can use any water-based or silicone-based personal lubricants with glass toys.
Ever wanted that sexy body pierced “look” without the pain or health risks that may be associated with piercing the body? Arabesque Body Creations & Designs has come up with the solution. This unique line of Non-Piercing jewelry is made of solid 18kt and 14kt GOLD or Solid Sterling Silver, combined with Natural Gemstones, the finest Austrian Crystal then personally “hand-crafted” into beautiful “non-piercing” Body Jewelry. This unique line of jewelry is sure to tantalize and tickle you in all the right places.
“In the world of high class quality jewelry for one’s privates, Arabesque Body Creations & Design are leading the pack. The Nipple Dangles and Ultimate Clit Caresser are splendid examples of state-of-the-art, non-piercing adornments. Finely crafted from sterling silver and encrusted with brilliant gemstones, this body wear makes a statement and the statement is pure elegance. The Clit Caresser goes way beyond mere looks; the slightest movement will cause your erogenous zone to explode with trembling delight, and the Nipple Dangles will enhance your chest for all those erotic formal occasions.”
–Saul McCarthy – AVN – Adult Novelty Business Magazine – July 2005–
Tapping, tickling or tugging (gently) of the dangle styles creates the most wonderful sensations. Under a skirt sans panties, mall walking has a whole new definition.
For the caresser, there is still a certain amount of stimulation if worn under panties, but again, the restriction of motion and vibration curtails the sensory enjoyment. A very tiny t-bar allows the dangles to hang on either side, which can then be tickled by you. This is highly recommended as the vibrations are very arousing.
The purpose of the nipple rings is to encircle the nipple, encouraging its erection, and to provide something to hang the dangle and chains from. The Braided Adjustable nipple rings are the most adjustable… they can be opened up completely so a lady could pull her nipple through and put the ring on herself. Still, the best and most fun way for the lady to wear her jewelry is for you to help!
And Guys, Arabesque has not forgotten about you!
The Sterling Silver Cock Ring is loosely, not tightly adjusted around the base of the penis before erection. It allows the natural flow of blood into the penis during erection but comfortably slows the blood flowing back to your body. You accumulate and keep the largest amount of blood in your penis to achieve maximum erection size, hardness and duration.
**About the male jewelry – the purposes are both ornamental and stimulating. I ‘ll try to explain it. Yes, it looks HOT. There is some sensation for the wearer, you get the brushing of the leash against you, the silver’s presence is felt, BUT the cock circlets are not like rubber rings, they do not impede the blood low sufficiently to prevent ejaculation. You put them on when you are flacid, adjusted so they will barely stay on. When you become erect, they will now fit snugly, and you will feel them. For the lady, the stimulation comes from the beads of the leash, and the circlet worn at the end of the penis. It is a great G-spot stimulator. Please note, if you are both wearing the men’s jewelry and the caresser, watch out or pinches!!! As far as condom use is concerned, there are no sharp edges on the male jewelry, so there shouldn’t be a problem with tearing the latex. We do not guarantee against condom breakage however.
World Exclusive! Sqweel ® is a revolution in orgasms! The sensational new patent-pending oral sex simulator has a wheel of 10 teasing tongues that will lap you to orgasm time and time again. Sqweel ® is a patent-pending sex toy for women (and their partners!) designed to simulate the sensation of oral sex. Forget everything you thought you knew about sex toys – LoveHoney Sqweel is different. It doesn’t vibrate. It doesn’t thrust. It doesn’t just provide quick, semi-satisfying orgasms. Its unique wheel of tongues provides easily controlled stimulation at just the speed you need to deliver deeper, long-lasting, more ‘real’ sheet-clenching orgasms – whenever you want them. International sex expert Tracey Cox says: “Sqweel feels completely different to a vibrator and while it’s not a tongue, it’s the closest you’ll ever get to it! It’s an entirely different sensation, so human it’s almost eerie. Own one of these and a vibrator and your boyfriend should be seriously worried!” * • Unique hand-held oral sex simulator * • Three speeds deliver orgasmic sensations – start slow and work your way up * • Unique 360 Degree Guarantee – have an orgasm or your money back How to use Sqweel ® Just pop in 3 AAA batteries (sold separately) and you’re ready to Sqweel! Take off the cover, flick the switch and the tongues start rotating. Just add lube! Add some of your favourite lube to yourself and your Sqweel tongues to get you both in the mood!
StiffToys.com and Evolved are teaming up to help fight Breast Cancer…
Help StiffToys.com and Evolved raise awareness and support for breast cancer, while making you and your loved one feel cherished. Whenever you purchase this massager, you are helping to find a cure for breast cancer. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Save the ta-tas Foundation. Did you know? The physical and emotional side effects of cancer and chemotherapy can cause women to lose their libido. According to Chemocare.com many doctors recommend touching exercises, cuddling and exploration to help partners boost their sexual relationship.
More available here.
The PDX Fuck Me Silly Masturbator by Pipe Dream Products
You’ve always dreamt of fucking a hot bitch like this, so what are you waiting for? Take your fuck slut out of the box, push play on the hardcore DVD, get out the free lube, and pound that bitch `til you Fuck Her Silly! This mega masturbator is the most realistic piece of ass you ever fucked–and with over 20 lbs. of soft, Fanta-flesh engulfing and massaging your cock, this plush piece of pussy feels better than the real thing! Slap that big round ass and listen to the whack– it sounds and feels just like a real ass! Spread her cheeks, ram her tight little asshole, and fill her with every inch of your man meat! Now, flip the slut over on her back and her perfect pink pussy lips are spread eagle and begging for your dick! She`s warm, she`s tight, and she NEVER says no! When you`re done, blow a load deep inside her or cum all over her back and pussy– cleanup is a snap either way with Pipedream Toy Cleaner and warm water. Best of all, she tucks away under the bed or in the closet for easy storage after the fun. No commitments, no bullshit, and no worries about knocking her up. It`s an all access, any time-any place piece of pussy and ass made just for your cock! Includes: Life-Like FantaFlesh Ass/Vagina Full Length Zero Tolerance DVD 1oz. Moist Lubricant 1oz. Toy Cleaner Size: Length – 14 in. – ( 35.56 cm ) Width – 13 in. – ( 33.02 cm ) Weight – 22.4 oz. – ( 696.72 gram ) Features and Functions: DVD Included, Lube Included, Stretchy, Toy Cleaner Included. Material: Thermoplastic Rubber (TPR)
Special thanks to ThatToyChick.com for the video Review.
“The Crystal Delights Plug is a gorgeous looking butt plug. The glass itself is absolutely clear and flawless Pyrex, shining brightly from the sun streaming in my window with faucets of light shimmering like diamonds. It features an authentic Swarovski crystal at the base for sexy butt jewelry bling that comes in Clear, Aurora Borealis, Rose Pink and Mint Green. Crystal Delights Glass Butt Plugs are the ultimate in quality, luxury design. They are exquisite designer products that are tres chic, classy, body and earth friendly, as well as smartly and elegantly packaged.”–DominaDoll, PopMyCherryReview.com
“If you’re looking for something ultra-cute to impress your beaux, Andelloux recommends the Pyrex Mint Plug by Crystal Delights. “[It’s] bling for your butt. How could someone not want to play with a sparkly butt?””–Mariel Loveland, HerCampus.com
“First off I must admit, I’m pretty picky with toys and was a tiny bit hesitant about a glass butt plug having never used glass prior. But after a few moments of play any reservations I had flew right out the window. It felt absolutely amazing. The tear shaped body was perfect for all kinds of sexual activity; it stayed in place the entire time without a problem. Hence, you can remain focused on your partner instead of worrying about it falling out or the base sliding in too far… I give this toy five stars and not just because my girlfriend thinks its pretty but because it is very well designed, and sure to provide you with absolute anal bliss.”–SexualityHappens.com
“She will feel like royalty and beg for more when you gift her this Crystal Delights Plug [$80] for Valentine’s Day. High quality and hand crafted by VirtuallyAdult and RubyGlass21, made of ultra smooth Pyrex glass with an authentic Swarovski crystal! This toy works perfect for anal play with its elongated head for easy insertion. Crystal Delights is designed and constructed for the plug connoisseur. Each Crystal Delights product is made from the highest quality Pyrex glass; which is the only type of glass that has been proven to be safe to use internally.”–uberapparatus.com
“My Crystal Delights Blue Anal Plug is a high quality, hand crafted ultra smooth Pyrex glass insertable manufactured by RubyGlass21 and customized by VirtuallyAdult. The plug features a petite spade-shaped head with a maximum diameter of no more than an inch. This sits gracefully atop an unusually long 2” stem that finally flares out to make the base, in which is embedded the sapphire-like crystal. Everyone has a butthole and the Crystal Delights Blue Anal Plug is an equal opportunity pleasure plug… I highly recommend this beauty.”–Dr Dick Sex Toy Reviews
“Without getting too into the specific details of this product’s use, suffice to say that glass toys are a lot of fun, and this one is very well made. I like glass toys (RubyGlass21 uses medical-grade Pyrec borosilicate “hard” glass) because they’re easy to clean, work well with just about any lubricant, and are perfect for conducting sexy temperature experiments, hot and cold. They’re also more eco-friendly than most toys, a hallmark of both the Virtually Adult “Rethinking Intimacy” web store…”–Sarah Estrella, Sex & Relationships Examiner
“Not only is the base happily safe for my hungry butt, it is very nice on the eyes. The plug came in a sweet black pouch, complete with a little glass trinket (not really my taste but I imagine a lot of customers would like it), a few (chocolate!) condoms and the best part: boy butter water-based lube. Personally, I think ALL anal sex toys should be shipped with lube samples. Extra goodies were a great touch, but the plug is the real shining winner. Quality smooth Pyrex and a cool crystal color of Aurora Borealis which makes a beautiful ass jewel — booty bling”–Jiz Lee, GenderQueer Pornstar
“I have never seen one shine so absolutely brilliantly! Most plugs hide very quickly between the cheeks, but the Virtually Adult plug has enough length to stick out proudly, even when the wearer is standing. So my little one sparkled like a slutty sapphire engagement ring from some cheap mall jewelry store (and I say that with reverence), and I was pleased… I would give 4.5 stars because of my stainless bias, but cannot, so I give 5. Its’ worth it!”–Eve Minx, CarnalNation
“I’ve always thought that it takes a real man to stick something up his butt, no matter what it is. This is the perfect plug for both beginner butt play (you know, a diamond in the rough) and setting a mood. The stem seems longer than most plugs, which is great for really getting in their and mining those sensitive spots while also letting the sparkle really brighten up where the sun don’t shine… Let this be a light for you in dark places; you just might find yourself bedazzled.”–Jack Hoffman, CarnalNation
“The Crystal Delights glass anal plug by Virtually Adult is a toy that immediately made me squeal with girly excitement when I unwrapped it… I unzipped the carabiner-attached case and was surprised to find a gorgeous glass butt plug with a swirling whirlwind of northern lights on the inside… The end of the plug’s handle is inset with a colorful crystal jewel that matches the gleam of the colors inside the glass. The girth of the plug is moderately shaped, enough to notice but not too much to feel too full. It has a long and slender stem, more so than any of my other anal glass or steel plugs, but not too delicate as to insight worry about a possible break…”–Nadia Boots, CarnalNation
“”An amazingly beautiful, crystal butt plug. If you own a plug, I can guarantee you that it isn’t as beautiful as this. The amazing VirtuallyAdult and Rubyglass21 have designed a piece with pure beauty… This plug is even more beautiful than any photo that you will see, and that is due to the innate ability of a Swarovski Crystal to capture the attention of its audience through its glittering facets.”–PrettyPowerTools.com
“I absolutely adore this plug. It is gorgeous, and it’s perfect for surprising for partner, or just knowing that you have a beautifully jeweled butthole… I’ve worked with quite a few different sites and companies, and I feel like it’s worth a mention that this company has been FANTASTIC to deal with. That’s rare, and deserves a second thank you”–britisshameless.com
“My desire for beauty and my desire for anal pleasure, both are satisfied… I love having the Crystal Delights plug in me. The genuine Swarovski crystal is like jewelry for your tush and makes my butt feel beautiful. Plus, it gets me pretty wet. I’m not sure what it is about anal stimulation that makes my juices flow, but it’s great! And it was a lot of fun to flash my hubby with it as a surprise.”–True Pleasures
“For use, the plug definitely works. The plug is large enough to feel during use, but it isn’t large enough to be uncomfortable or problematic to beginners. If you’ve had at least minimal anal experience, this glass plug shouldn’t be too difficult to take. It may take a little bit of foreplay and warming up to get this in, but it’s definitely possible to do. The weight of the plug definitely makes itself known, but it isn’t uncomfortable in the slightest…”–Kinky-World.net
“VirtuallyAdult.com offers a great Glass butt plug from Crystal Delights! This is so much fun because it is smooth, goes great with your fave lube and can be heated up or cooled down with water for a completely different sensation!! The Crystal Delights Anal Plug comes beautifully wrapped in its own pouch!! Discreet and safe!”–GeeSpot Reviews
“The Crystal Delights Dichroic Glass Butt Plug is, as you guessed it, made of glass… The storage that’s included with this is amazing. It’s so discreet, and it’s perfect. It’s a little shell made from hard plastic that zips closed, and inside the case is soft foam that cushions your toy. The case also includes an elastic strap that straps your pulg into the case… It looks absolutely gorgeous. Mine has a custom-made pink gem at the end of it, but the regularly included gem looks amazing as well. My favorite part is the small little blue pieces of glass that are included in the bulb of the plug itself. It looks absolutely gorgeous, and it honestly looks like a piece of art – not a sex toy.”–Kinky-World.net
“A little while back, Virtually Adult sent me the Crystal Delights Glass Plug. I loved it, except that I didn’t love the long base. It made it difficult for the plug to stay in, and impossible to use for extended wear. Well, being the awesome company that they are, Virtually Adult *gasp* listened to my feedback, and made a new, shorter plug! How cool is that? So, they sent it to me to review… I’m extremely happy with my short Crystal Delights plug, and absolutely tickled that it was made based on my first review!”–britisshameless.com
“”The plug, as well as being a very attractive object in its own right, is hand-crafted from Pyrex class and has a large Swarovski crystal embedded in its hilt… Like the people pleasers they are, Virtually Adult send out a free gift with this product. We got a couple of condoms, and some lube–always handy. It’s also worth mentioning the discreet quilted leather and velure protective pouch which accompanies the plug. Besides keeping it safe from harm, it’s an appealing and charming object by itself, and doubtless could serve other functions.”–BizarreSex.com
“For ages I’ve lusted after the Crystal Delights glass anal plugs. After hearing some of the great things people have said about these plugs and seeing the beautiful selection of colors, these plugs have been on my wishlist for quite some time… The toy came wrapped in glittery tissue paper with a wonderful sticker on the seal. You can tell that someone put a lot of care in packaging your plug and that you’re getting something special… Overall I really can’t say enough good things about this plug. It’s beautiful, weighty, and looks like a ginormous diamond in your ass. It’s wonderfully decorative and I can imagine wearing this out to dinner with a partner under a dress, perhaps giving them a flash here and there during the night to tease them with the knowledge my ass is sparkling for them.”–Diary of an Undercover Kinkster
Oh Nea how I love thee…I saw this little gem last year and she’s been on my wish list ever since. Then once I had my surgery and couldn’t have vaginal insertibles, I’ve been on the quest for the perfect clit toy. Though I am able to have vaginal penetration again, clit toys still fascinate me.
So, the Nea really is quite small. At it’s longest part she’s only about 3″. Across, about 1 1/2″ widest to 1″ at the narrowest. When I first took her out the smallness really took me. I thought to myself “you’ve got to be kidding??” But you know what? That small-ness was perfect for me and my nice, thick outer lips! Nea snuggles right into them and vibrates away…
So. She’s rechargeable. Rock on yea? She comes with a cord that has a small, side-ways plug in, so you don’t have to worry about logistics with other items you need to plug in.
The thing to remember is that Nea is *not* waterproof! Her plug in port is not covered, so you can get water in her. So, take care when cleaning. Since she IS plastic, she is not porous, so you can sterilize her with a 10% bleach solution. (10% bleach to 90% water) You can also use warm water and soap or your favorite toy cleaner.
Nea also comes with not only that nice box pictured above, that that white carry bag. Since she’s rechargeable, you can put her in that bag and take her wherever you want to go! She gets about 7 hours of use per charge.
Her lights around the buttons pulse when she’s charging and are steady or turn off when she’s fully charged.
She has 2 buttons. When you’re looking down at them, and the buttons are on the bottom the right hand one turns her on. Push it once and she’ll turn on. Hold her down to increase speed. Here’s the key on how to use the “2-button interface”
Nea in all her purrty glory
Press down the + button and turn her on all the way ’till she won’t go any higher. (The + button is the right hand one, when the buttons are on the bottom) Let up on it for a couple seconds, then hold it down again for 3 seconds. Then it will start the pulsation patterns. There’s 4 of them. If you want to go back to regular, hold the – button/left button for a couple seconds and it’ll go back to regular.
There’s also a lock feature on the buttons, to help prevent accidental activation. Hold down both buttons for 5 seconds. The LED light will be on while you’re holding the buttons down. When the LED light turns off, you’ve activated/deactivated the lock mechanism.
I find the controls a bit complicated. But once you’ve got the hang of it (and the instructions are very clear) it’s not a problem.
Performance? Perfect! Aside from her being a tad hard to hold on to while she’s on full speed, this toy is perfect for me! I just put her on about 3/4 of the way up highest, tuck her into my outer labia so she’s right on my clit and lay back and enjoy it! She’s also very quiet! If you need a discreet vibrator this one is totally for you. Just close your door and get under a blanket and you’ll not hear her, even on her highest setting. If you don’t want to be under a blanket just turn on your radio or tv
Because of how small she is, she’s actually pretty difficult to use holding on to her, especially for someone with large hands. D found her too small for him to use. So I just put her in my lips and did it myself Teehee
I love her! Not only is this vibrator cute, but she comes with awesome storage, is rechargeable and actually is a clit vibrator that works on my clit!
Review by: Jessie Beth